Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Garden!

For the first time we are growing a veggie garden. YAY!! I've grown herbs before, but it was before I was interested in cooking so it was kind of pointless. I tend to go on a whim like that sometimes and the whim was a herb garden. lol I love to cook now so the herbs I grow will go to good use! :) Now as a family, we are growing some veggies. I'm sure we'll learn as we go. We kind of are just doing it to see what we can grow and learn. I can read and read and ask questions, but I'm really a learner by doing. I figure if we manage to get a few veggies this year then it will be a success. Wait, who am I kidding, if I get the plants to grow, it will be a success!! lol

We made a veggie bed in our backyard by our chickies. We just marked it off and mixed in some richer soil. We had originally planned to build a completely raised bed, but there really wasn't a need. We have pretty good soil here and since the area is small enough (8x8) we can till it by hand. We made our little rows and mounds and planted our seeds. Doug had started some peppers and a tomato plant inside months ago, so we just transplanted those. Eathan grew a lima bean and we put that out there as well. They are coming up very well and it's very exciting to watch the progress. I have pics I'll put up of the progress. :)

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh I love a garden. All those fresh veggies. MMM! When I was a little girl my daddy would plant a garden every spring and my siblings and I would help with the plowing, planting and weeding. Picking our first veggie was just amazing to me. I can still remember that first bite of that juicy, red tomato after all these years. Enjoy your family time together in your new garden. :0)

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Fun! I hope you get lots of great veggies!